Covenant House was founded 38 years ago with the mission to help homeless teens and young adults get off the street and into productive lives.
They serve as a refuge to:
- young people who are running from abuse at home
- youth who've been kicked out of the house (often because of their sexual orientation)
- young people who "age out" of the foster care system at age 18 and face the adult world alone.
- Shelter, including a transitional housing program
- Access to medical care
- Coaching in basic life skills
- Opportunities to finish high school
- Resources for job skill development
Covenant House's Transitional Housing Program: Youth pay rent to Covenant House for their apartment, and after 12-18 months when they graduate from the program, they are given ALL of their rent to help them to put a deposit on an apartment and set up a household.